Why Does My Car Keep Dying on Me – Downey Auto Repair
Let’s face it, a lot of things can go wrong with your vehicle. That’s just the nature of cars. Of all the bad things that can happen, there is not much worse than a car that suddenly loses powers or completely dies on you. And depending on where you’re located when it happens, it can be a nightmare. While there are various reasons your vehicle can stop running, it generally comes down to two factors. Either there is an issue with your fuel, or something is wrong with spark.
Top Two Causes for a Dying Vehicle
In most cases, when your car starts dying slowly, it has lost fuel pressure. The simple reason is that you have run out of gas. Obviously, if the fuel gauge shows you aren’t on empty, then you likely have another issue, because your car can die even with a full tank of gas. For example, it might a clogged filter or a bad fuel pump. Both of these problems will prevent the needed amount of fuel from reaching your engine, will cause it to die.
If your engine dies suddenly, then it’s usually not a fuel issue, but rather an electrical issue. There are several possible reasons that could happen, including bad or dirty spark plugs. There could be a bad coil or loss of electric signal. It’s also possible your battery is dying or dead.
Other Possible Causes
Although they are the most common, these aren’t the only reasons an engine can die. For example, you could have a bad timing belt. Your vehicle could also have a damaged head. You might have a misfire or you EGR valve could have an issue as well. Here are some other common reasons that your car keeps dying.
1. Blocked Fuel Filter – if your fuel filter gets dirty or “gunked” up it can get clogged. If you remove the filter and blow air through it the air should flow through it freely. If not, it’s time to change the filter.
2. Dirty Fuel Injector – the problem could also be coming from a dirty fuel injection system. When this system is dirty, your vehicle’s performance will suffer, including its ability to idle. Sometimes, simply adding fuel injector cleaner to the gas can remedy this problem.
3. Bad Catalytic Converter – if your vehicle’s exhaust system includes a catalytic converter, this can be another problem. Catalytic converters remove toxic pollutants from your emissions. But if they get blocked, it can back-up your vehicle’s emissions and cause it to stall.
4. Idle Adjustment – the idle air control valve (IAC) can also cause your vehicle to die. The IAC regulates the RPM speed during idle by controlling airflow. But if it’s improperly adjusted it can affect your engine. Adjusting it might fix the problem, but if not, then extra carbon buildup might be the issue.
5. Faulty Sensors – lastly, a bad sensor might the problem. If the "Check Engine" light is on, a sensor could be bad. For example, the Mass Air Flow sensor, which measures how much air is entering the engine and adjusts idle speed, could be bad. If so, your vehicle could die.
Let Glenn’s Auto Help You Give Your Car More Life
If your vehicle has been sputtering or dying, it’s time for a check-up. There are several possible reasons, but the bottom line is you need to get it fixed. That’s why it’s important to get expert help from our ASE certified technicians.
At Glenn’s Auto Service, we’ll pinpoint the problem and fix it, so you can get back on the road and wherever you need to be. And if your car, truck, crossover, or SUV needs any other type of auto repair in Downey, CA, you can trust Glenn’s Auto service to help you with that too.
If you’re looking for the right service and repairs for your vehicle in Downey, then please call us at 562-359-4232 to schedule your next service. You can also schedule an appointment with us online by clicking here. We are your trusted Downey, CA auto repair shop for all services and repairs on all makes and models, including:
Subaru auto repair in Downey, CA
Chevy auto service and repair in in Downey, CA
Subaru auto repair in Downey, CA
Honda auto service in Downey, CA
Scion auto repair in Downey, CA
Nissan auto service in Downey, CA
Ford auto repair in Downey, CA
Chrysler auto service and repair in Downey, CA