Has your car been suddenly dying lately? You’re driving along and without warning the engine just stops running. It can be quite a shock, not to mention very frustrating. In some cases, it could be a real safety hazard when you’re driving in Downey CA.
Has your vehicle been having trouble idling when you come to a stop? Maybe it sputters or chokes and then it goes dead. It’s a very unsettling feeling and no one wants to be in this situation. So, why does this happen? Your vehicle can stop running or have a hard time idling for several reasons. But there are two main reasons: either you have an issue with spark or with fuel.
Two Most Common Reasons for Dying Engines – Downey Auto Repair
Usually, when your car begins to sputter and then slowly dies, it’s because it has lost fuel pressure. The most common reason is simply running out of gas. However, if you have a full tank of fuel, and your car still dies, then there is more to it than a lack of gas. You might have a clogged filter or a bad fuel pump, for example. Both of these issues prevent your engine from getting enough fuel. Without the proper fuel, your engine is going to die.
As for an engine that suddenly dies, that’s usually caused by an electrical power issue. And that can happen for a lot of reasons. Your spark plugs might be old or faulty, or they aren’t getting any power. A bad coil somewhere could also cause this, as well as losing your electric signal. Even a bad battery, a worn-out timing belt, or your EGR valve could be the problem.
Find the Solution with Glenn’s Auto Service in Downey
These aren’t the only reasons your engine can die, but they are the most common. Below are a few other reasons that your car keeps dying. But no matter the reason, at Glenn’s Auto Service in Downey, CA, we’ll take care of it right.
1. Dirty Fuel Injector – if your vehicle has a fuel injection system, the injector will get dirty. When that happens, your vehicle’s performance will be affected, including its ability to idle correctly. Sometimes all it takes is using fuel injector cleaner and adding it to the gas.
2. Idle Adjustment – if your idle air control valve (IAC) is improperly adjusted, it can cause your engine to die or sputter. This valve controls airflow, which regulates the RPM speed during idle. So, it might need an adjustment.
3. Catalytic Converter – some exhaust systems include a catalytic converter, which helps remove toxic pollutants from emissions. Your vehicle can stall when the catalytic converter gets blocked.
4. Blocked Fuel Filter – your fuel filter gets clogged over time from built up junk from the gas. When the clog gets bad it prevents air from flowing through it properly. Changing your air filter will likely fix the problem.
5. Faulty Sensors – last but not least, it could be a bad sensor. If you see the "check engine" light, one of your sensors might be bad, like the mass air flow sensor, which measures air entering the engine and adjusts the idle speed. If it’s off, your engine could die.
Let Glenn’s Auto Service Give Your Vehicle More Life
If you’re car, truck, crossover, or SUV has been having any issues with dying, sputtering or idling, it’s time for a check-up. It’s hard to pinpoint the problem without the right equipment. That’s why it’s always a good idea to get expert help from our ASE certified technicians. Don’t get stuck in a bad situation because your car dies without warning.
If your vehicle keeps dying then it’s time to get it fixed, no matter what the reason is. At Glenn’s Auto Service, in Downey, we’ll find the problem, get it taken care of, and get your vehicle back on the road where it should be.
So, please give us a call at 562-359-4232, or click here to set up an appointment online, if you need any kind of auto repair in Downey CA.
We are your trusted Downey, CA auto repair shop for all services and repairs on all makes and models, including:
Chevy auto service and repair in in Downey, CA
Toyota auto repair in Downey, CA
Honda auto service in Downey, CA
Scion auto repair in Downey, CA
Nissan auto service in Downey, CA
Ford auto repair in Downey, CA
Chrysler auto service and repair in Downey, CA